October Post Ideas to Get More Engagement on Social Media
Welcome to October, a month full of opportunities for fun social media engagement. For busy business owners, harnessing the power of social media can seem daunting no matter how far along you are in your business building journey.
However, fear not! In this blog, we'll walk you through creative content ideas tailored for October, designed to enhance your brand's presence and help you grow effortlessly on social media!
First thing's first... If you'd like to walk through content ideas for October, click below to watch the live training and download the FREE October Social Media Planning Calendar. Just click here or the graphic below to get started!
What to Post on Social Media in October:
In October, your social media strategy should reflect the essence of the season while aligning with your specific niche or industry.
Here's a breakdown of what to post in October and some examples across various industries:
- Feature your fall collection with eye-catching visuals showcasing cozy sweaters, scarves, or Halloween-themed attire.
- Share style tips for layering, Halloween costume ideas, or how to accessorize for the season.
b. Food & Beverage:
- Highlight seasonal dishes or drinks like pumpkin spice lattes, apple pies, or hearty stews.
- Run a contest for the best homemade Halloween-themed recipe shared by your followers.
- Encourage your audience to stay active despite the cooler weather with posts about indoor workout routines or autumn hikes.
- Share health tips for flu season, promoting wellness products or services.
- Discuss the latest tech trends or gadgets for the fall season.
- Offer advice on backing up data for the colder months when power outages may occur.
e. Real Estate:
- Showcase homes with cozy fireplaces, beautiful autumn landscapes, or spooky decorations for Halloween.
- Share tips for staging homes during the fall season.
f. Travel & Tourism:
- Promote fall getaways to destinations with stunning foliage or holiday-themed events.
- Share packing lists and travel tips for October trips.
- Raise awareness for causes that are particularly relevant in October, such as breast cancer awareness.
- Share inspiring stories and ways to get involved in your charity's mission.
Example Post: For a retail business, you could post an image of a model wearing your new fall collection with a caption like, "Elevate your fall style with our latest arrivals! 🍂 Which outfit would you choose for your autumn adventures? Share your choice below! #FallFashion #StyleInspo"
Remember to utilize seasonal hashtags such as #FallFashion, #AutumnVibes, or #OctoberMagic to expand your post's reach and increase engagement.
These ideas should help you tailor your content to your niche while capturing the essence of October.
Whether you're in retail, food, fitness, tech, real estate, travel, or the nonprofit sector, October provides ample opportunities (like the holidays we're about to share with you) to create content that resonates with your audience and keeps your social media engagement on the rise.
2. Holidays to Celebrate on Social Media in October:
October is brimming with a diverse array of holidays and observances. Leveraging these occasions on your social media can help you connect with your audience on a personal and engaging level.
Here are over 20 holidays and how different industries can tie them into their content:
a. World Vegetarian Day (October 1):
- Restaurant: Promote your vegetarian menu and share the benefits of plant-based eating.
- Fitness: Share vegetarian recipes and their nutritional value.
b. National Pumpkin Day (October 26):
- Retail/Fashion: Display pumpkin-themed products like sweaters or accessories.
- Food & Beverage: Feature pumpkin-inspired recipes, drinks, or desserts.
c. World Smile Day (October 6):
- Retail: Share products that make your customers smile and share stories of customer satisfaction.
- Nonprofits: Share photos of your team smiling while making a difference.
d. International Coffee Day (October 1):
- Cafes: Offer special deals on coffee and share behind-the-scenes glimpses of your brewing process.
- Tech/IT: Discuss the latest coffee-related tech trends or gadgets.
e. National Taco Day (October 4):
- Food Trucks: Feature your taco offerings and encourage followers to share their favorite taco toppings.
- Travel & Tourism: Highlight the best places for taco enthusiasts to visit.
f. National Pizza Month (October):
- Restaurants: Run a month-long pizza promotion, showcasing different pizza varieties.
- Fitness/Wellness: Share healthy pizza alternatives and tips for enjoying pizza without guilt.
g. Boss's Day (October 16):
- Office Supplies: Promote thoughtful gifts for bosses.
- Real Estate: Share stories of successful home sales, thanking your clients.
h. National Dessert Day (October 14):
- Bakeries: Showcase your delectable desserts and run a contest for the best dessert recipe.
- Fitness/Wellness: Encourage balance with posts about guilt-free indulgence.
i. National Cat Day (October 29):
- Pet Supply Stores: Share cat products and ask for customer photos of their feline friends.
- Nonprofits: Advocate for cat adoption and share heartwarming stories of rescued cats.
j. United Nations Day (October 24):
- Nonprofits: Raise awareness for global issues you're passionate about and showcase your international projects.
- Tech/IT: Discuss the role of technology in global communication and cooperation.
k. National Cybersecurity Awareness Month (October):
- Tech/IT: Share cybersecurity tips, industry news, and your products or services.
- Nonprofits: Promote online safety awareness and resources for the public.
Example Post for National Pumpkin Day (Retail/Fashion): Share an image of a model wearing a stylish pumpkin-themed scarf with the caption, "Stay cozy and fashionable this autumn with our pumpkin-inspired scarves. Perfect for the pumpkin patch or a crisp evening out! 🎃 #PumpkinFashion #FallStyle"
Tailoring your content to these holidays can provide your audience with fresh and engaging content while giving your brand a warm, relatable, and celebratory touch.
3. Content Ideas for Halloween:
Halloween is a significant event in October that offers an array of content opportunities across various niches. Here are ideas and examples for different industries and small business owners to incorporate Halloween-themed content into their social media strategy:
- Costume Showcases: Feature your store's Halloween costumes and accessories with themed photoshoots.
- Outfit of the Day (OOTD): Share daily costume ideas, giving followers inspiration.
- Themed Decor: Showcase Halloween-inspired store displays.
b. Food & Beverage:
- Spooky Specials: Offer limited-time Halloween-themed dishes, drinks, or desserts.
- Recipe Demos: Share video tutorials on creating Halloween recipes.
- Pumpkin-Carving Contest: Run a contest for the best pumpkin-carving creations.
- Halloween Workouts: Share Halloween-themed workout routines.
- Healthy Treats: Provide recipes for healthier Halloween snacks.
- Costume Yoga: Host a yoga session where participants wear costumes.
- Halloween Tech Gadgets: Feature tech products with Halloween applications.
- Cybersecurity Horror Stories: Share cybersecurity horror stories with tips for protection.
- Pumpkin Hacks: Showcase creative tech-themed pumpkin carvings.
e. Real Estate:
- Haunted House Tours: Highlight homes with spooky histories or unique Halloween decorations.
- Themed Staging: Stage homes with Halloween decor to inspire buyers.
- Costumed Agent: Feature your agents in Halloween costumes while discussing the real estate market.
f. Travel & Tourism:
- Haunted Destinations: Promote travel to haunted or Halloween-themed destinations.
- Travel Costume Ideas: Share packing and costume ideas for Halloween vacations.
- Local Events: Highlight local Halloween events for travelers.
- Donor Appreciation: Create Halloween-themed thank-you content for donors.
- Spooky Fundraisers: Run Halloween-themed fundraisers or events.
- Ghost Stories: Share spooky stories relevant to your cause.
Example Post for Costume Showcases (Retail/Fashion): Share a carousel of images featuring various costumes available in your store, accompanied by a caption like, "Halloween is just around the corner, and we've got the costumes to make it unforgettable! Which one would you choose for your spooky night out? 🎃👻 #HalloweenCostumes #SpookyStyle"
Remember to tie your Halloween content to the October holidays and observe what resonates with your audience. Feel free to use relevant hashtags from the "Holidays to Celebrate on Social Media in October" section to increase visibility and engagement.
4. Questions to Ask on Social Media in October:
Engaging your audience through thought-provoking questions is a powerful way to foster interactions and build community.
Here are ten questions small business owners across various industries can ask on social media in October to boost engagement:
- "What's your go-to Halloween costume this year?"
- "Which fall fashion trend are you most excited to rock this season?"
Food & Beverage:
- "What's your favorite pumpkin-flavored treat?"
- "Share your spookiest, yet delicious, Halloween recipe."
- "How do you stay motivated for your workouts during the chillier months?"
- "Share your best tips for a healthy Halloween."
- "Which tech gadget helps you stay cozy and connected in the fall?"
- "What's the spookiest tech problem you've ever encountered?"
- "What's on your dream home checklist for the perfect fall hideaway?"
- "If you could live in a famous haunted house, which one would it be and why?"
Travel & Tourism:
- "Where's your favorite spooky travel destination?"
- "Share your most memorable autumn travel experience."
- "What's your favorite way to give back to the community during October?"
- "If you could change one thing in the world this Halloween season, what would it be?"
Example Post (Fitness/Wellness): "What's your secret to staying active when the weather turns chilly? Share your tips below, and let's keep each other motivated this fall! 💪🍁 #FallFitness #HealthyHabits"
These questions spark discussions, invite personal stories, and encourage followers to engage with your brand. Remember to respond to the comments, fostering a sense of community and building a loyal following.
5. Inspirational Quotes to Share on Social Media in October:
Inspirational quotes can uplift your audience, offering them motivation and positivity.
Here are ten inspirational quotes suitable for sharing on social media in October, regardless of your industry:
"Autumn shows us how beautiful it is to let things go." 🍂
"Every leaf speaks bliss to me, fluttering from the autumn tree." – Emily Brontë 🍁
"The only way to do great work is to love what you do." – Steve Jobs
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." – Mahatma Gandhi
"Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall." – F. Scott Fitzgerald 🍂
"Your time is limited, don't waste it living someone else's life." – Steve Jobs
"In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun." – Mary Poppins
"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." – Albert Schweitzer
"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going." – Beverly Sills
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." – Eleanor Roosevelt
Example Post: Pair an inspirational quote like, "Your time is limited, don't waste it living someone else's life." – Steve Jobs, with a captivating autumn-themed image and the caption, "As we embrace the beauty of fall, let's also remember to embrace our unique journey. 🍁 #Inspiration #OctoberVibes"
These quotes can be used throughout the month to provide a daily dose of inspiration, fostering a positive and motivated community around your brand.
6. Hashtags to Use on Social Media in October:
Incorporating the right hashtags into your October posts can significantly boost your reach and engagement.
Here's a list of 50 of our favorite hashtags you can use on social media in October:
#HelloOctober #OctoberMagic #AutumnLeaves #FallFeels #OctoberMood #Halloween #SpookySeason #TrickOrTreat #HauntedHouse #CostumeParty #FallFashion #SweaterWeather #BootsSeason #FallStyle #CozyOutfits #PumpkinSpice #HalloweenTreats #FallRecipes #ComfortFood #CaramelApples #FallWorkout #HealthyOctober #WellnessJourney #ActiveAutumn #MindfulLiving #Techtober #GadgetGoals #CyberSecurity #DigitalInnovation #TechTrends #DreamHome #HouseHunting #FallProperty #HomeDecor #HomeSweetHome #FallGetaway #TravelOctober #Wanderlust #AdventureAwaits #ExploreOctober #GivingBack #CommunitySupport #VolunteerOctober #ChangeMakers #GlobalAwareness #MondayMotivation #InspireDaily #Positivity #DreamBig #BelieveInYourself
Remember, the effectiveness of hashtags depends on your specific niche and audience. Mix and match relevant hashtags to each post to maximize your visibility and engagement.
7. How to Create Content for Social Media:
Creating engaging content for social media in October requires a well-thought-out approach. Here are some tips to help you craft compelling content:
a. Content Planning:
- Start with a Calendar: Plan your content ahead of time using a social media content calendar. Highlight important dates, holidays, and themes for October.
- Audience-Centric: Understand your audience's preferences and tailor your content to their interests.
- Join an October Content Planning Class with the Socially Inclined Team for FREE. We even included a free content planner with this one. Grab your seat here!
Remember, the "October Your Social Plan" by Socially Inclined is designed to simplify content creation, offering ready-made posts, templates, and strategies to help you effortlessly navigate social media and achieve your goals.